Early this month, Trump had scrapped Deferred Action for Children Arrival programme (DACA) that granted work permits to immigrants who arrived in the country illegally as children.
Trump posted on Twitter yesterday that, young undocumented migrants protected from deportation under the DACA programme need not worry about their immigration status for the next six months.
US President Donald Trump told “For all of those (DACA) that are concerned about your status during the 6 month period, you have nothing to worry about – No action!” said Trump on Twitter on Thursday.
For all of those (DACA) that are concerned about your status during the 6 month period, you have nothing to worry about – No action!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 7, 2017
Trump has given a period of six months to Congress to find a legislative alternative to the program implemented by former President Barack Obama by executive order in 2012, as per reports.
The tweet came right after Trump had a telephonic conversation with Democratic House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, wherein she expressly asked him to promise the DACA beneficiaries that they will not be deported during the six-month period, that is prior to March 5, 2018.
This move is likely to impact 8,00,000 undocumented workers, including more than 7,000 Indian-Americans. The number of people from India who arrived in the US illegally as children, is likely to be more than 20,000, according to an estimate carried out by South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT). Under DACA these citizens had earlier obtained temporary work permits and, in some states, receive driver’s licenses.
Until March 5, 2018, Congress, the only institution with the power to change the US immigration system, is required to find a way out to save the DREAMers.