11 Dead, 80 Hospitalised after eating prasad in Karnataka Temple
More than eleven people died and 80 others were hospitalised on Friday after consuming prasad from a temple in Chamarajanagar district in Karnataka. A large number of people were gathered for the inauguration of the dome of Sulvadi Kichchugutti Maramma temple.
After the inauguration ceremony, the devotees were given prasadam. After consuming it, many people started feeling uneasy and began vomiting. The people present outside the temple called the ambulance and rushed them to the nearby hospital.
The survivors were taken to the government and private hospitals and were being treated on ventilator support. The Karnataka Chief Minister, HD Kumaraswamy, has announced that the government will bear the medical expenses and will give Rs 5 lakh to the families of the deceased.
Also Read: “Good” Hindus won’t want Ram temple by demolishing somebody else’s place of worship: Shashi Tharoor
The DHOs suspected that rice may be poisoned. The sample of the rice has been sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory in Bengaluru for examination.