Coronavirus Outbreak: The death toll in China has risen to 636 with new 73 fatalities reported on Thursday, mostly from the worst-affected Hubei province while the number of confirmed cases has surged to 31,000, Chinese health authorities said on Friday.
According to the China’s National Health Commission, the Hubei province and its provincial capital Wuhan (epicenter of the virus outbreak) reported 69 deaths on Thursday while Henan, Guangdong and Hainan provinces witnessed one death each.
On Thursday, at least 73 people died on Thursday while another 3, 143 new cases of coronavirus were reported. The commission added that the total number of cases of coronavirus to 31, 161 from 31 provincial-level regions.
Meanwhile, the total of 1, 540 patients infected with the virus have been discharged from a hospital after the recovery by the end of Thursday. The commission also said that a large number of people are getting cured.
The Thursday fatalities included Chinese doctor Li Wenliang, one of the eight whistle-blowers who warned other about the coronavirus outbreak. However, these whistle-blowers were reprimanded by the police. Li Wenliang, the 34-year-old doctor passed away due to coronavirus on Thursday in Wuhan.
Li was the first man to report the coronavirus back in December last year when it emerged in Wuhan. According to the information, Li dropped a bombshell in the medical school alumni group on the popular Chinese messaging application WeChat that seven patients from a local seafood market were suffering with a SARS-like illness and quarantined in his hospital. Soon after the message popped out, he was accused of spreading rumour by the Wuhan police.
Recently, a local news website (City news) reported that the Chinese officials sought a request to the Supreme People’s Court asking to begin the killing of more than 20, 000 people suffering with coronavirus to prevent spreading of the virus. However, the report was claimed false.