At least 10 people died after a massive fire broke out in a COVID-19 facility in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh on Sunday morning. According to the information, the fire broke out at the Hotel Swarna Palace which was hired by a major corporate hospital to treat coronavirus patients.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy expressed shock and grief over the fire mishap and enquired about the cause of the accident. He directed the concerned officials to take up the rescue measures and admit the injured in nearby hospitals.
The Chief Minister also instructed officials to conduct an inquiry into the accident. The fire occurred in the hotel which was taken on lease and being run by a private hospital to treat COVID-19 patients.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a tweet: “Anguished by the fire at a COVID Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM Jagan Mohan Reddy Ji & assured all possible support.”
Home Minister Amit Shah tweeted: “Deeply anguished by news of tragic fire accident at a COVID-19 facility in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. The Centre assures all possible support to state govt. Condolences with affected families in this time of grief. Praying for the speedy recovery of those injured.”