President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, on Tuesday, appointed several Governors across the country. Thawarchand Gehlot will now take over as the next Governor of Karnataka.
Currently, Thawarchand Gehlot is the Cabinet Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment in India. While many of the Governors have been transferred, several others are new appointees.
President of India Ram Nath Kovind has made the following appointments and changes:
- P.S. Sreedharan Pillai, Governor of Mizoram is transferred and appointed as Governor of Goa.
- Satyadev Narayan Arya, Governor of Haryana is transferred and appointed as Governor of Tripura.
- Ramesh Bais, Governor of Tripura is transferred and appointed as Governor of Jharkhand.
- Thaawarchand Gehlot as Governor of Karnataka.
- Bandaru Dattatraya, Governor of Himachal Pradesh is transferred and appointed as Governor of Haryana.
- Dr. Hari Babu Kambhampati as Governor of Mizoram.
- Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel as Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar as Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
The above appointments will take effect from the dates they assume charge of their respective offices.
President Ram Nath Kovind approved the appointment of the Governors amid reports of a reshuffle in the Union Cabinet. If it happens, this will be the first time the Union Cabinet will be expanded since the NDA government came to power in May 2019.