SC modifies its July 7, 2014 order and allows state governments with certain conditions to exercise power of remission to release life convicts.
Here are few pointers:
- Cases in which life term has been considered without specifying that convict has to serve for life will not be released under remission: SC.
- Remission cannot be considered in cases where it is clearly stated that a life convict has to serve in jail for a specified period: SC.
- This order will apply where no application for commutation is preferred or considered suo motu by a state govt: SC.
- Remission can be exercised where investigation was not conducted by any central probe agency like CBI: SC.
- Power of remission can be exercised where life sentence is under IPC and not for the offences of rape and murder: SC.
- SC makes it clear that this order will not apply to Rajiv Gandhi assassination case which is being heard at present.