Sri Lanka Blasts: Death toll rises to 310
The death toll in the multiple bomb blasts that rocked Sri Lanka during Easter celebrations has risen to 310 on Tuesday. The media reports suggested that nearly 40 suspects have been arrested so far in the connection with the blasts.
The Defence Minister revealed that “The intelligence agencies have reported that there were international organisations behind these acts of local terrorists. Hence, it has been decided to seek international assistance for investigations.”
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena is expected to meet foreign envoys and high commissioners. He will brief them on the bombings and will seek international assistance. Sri Lanka marked national mourning on Tuesday. Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that the entire nation mourned the “senseless loss of innocent lives” lost in the multiple blasts.
Ranil Wickremesinghe wrote on Twitter, “I would like to thank the military and police forces, the medical personnel and all those who have worked bravely and tirelessly without concern for their own safety, to ensure the safety and security of our citizens. It is imperative that we remain unified as Sri Lankans in the face of this unspeakable tragedy.”
A series of eight devastating blasts that ripped through churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on April 21. During these blasts, more than 310 people were killed and more than 600 others were injured.
Eight Indian nationals were among 310 victims of the bomb blast in Churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday. While condemning the barbaric terror act on the telephone, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered help to Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena and Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe. He further said that these acts were cold-blooded and pre-planned. They were another grim reminder of the most serious challenge posed to the entire humanity by terrorism.