Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Whatsapp

T20 World Cup 2021: Quinton de Kock on decision of not taking knee during match against West Indies

Written by  Rajan Nath -- October 28th 2021 02:23 PM -- Updated: October 28th 2021 02:31 PM
T20 World Cup 2021: Quinton de Kock on decision of not taking knee during match against West Indies

T20 World Cup 2021: South Africa wicketkeeper-batter Quinton de Kock on Thursday explained his reasons for not taking the knee ahead of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup game against West Indies. "I would like to start by saying sorry to my teammates, and the fans back home. I never ever wanted to make this a Quinton issue. I understand the importance of standing against racism, and I also understand the responsibility of us as players to set an example," he said. Also Read | Rajasthan school teacher sacked for 'celebrating' Pakistan victory over India in T20 game T20 World Cup 2021: Why is Quinton de Kock not playing today's match? "If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so," said de Kock in an official statement released by Cricket South Africa (CSA)," he added. Also Read | T20 World Cup 2021: Students of Kashmir varsities booked for celebrating Pakistan's victory T20 World Cup: Quinton de Kock skips West Indies game after South Africa asked to take the knee - Telegraph India "I did not, in any way, mean to disrespect anyone by not playing against West Indies, especially the West Indian team themselves. Maybe some people don't understand that we were just hit with this on Tuesday morning, on the way to a game. I am deeply sorry for all the hurt, confusion, and anger that I have caused," Quinton de Kock said. Twitter in disbelief on Quinton de Kock's 11th hour pull out from West Indies game over CSA's directive to take a knee Further explaining his actions to not take the knee, de Kock said: "I was quiet on this very important issue until now. But I feel I have to explain myself a little bit." "For those who don't know, I come from a mixed-race family. My half-sisters are coloured and my stepmom is Black. For me, Black lives have mattered since I was born. Not just because there was an international movement," he added. "The rights and equality of all people are more important than any individual. I was raised to understand that we all have rights, and they are important. I felt like my rights were taken away when I was told what we had to do in the way that we were told," he said. Here's how cricket fans reacted to this on Koo -PTC News

Top News view more...

Latest News view more...