US announces 40 years imprisonment for terror attacks plotting
The United States Justice Department has awarded 40 years of imprisonment to a Canadian Citizen for plotting terrorist attacks in New York City on Thursday. Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy (20) of Canada was sentenced 40 years in jail along with a lifetime of supervised release for plotting terrorist attacks in New York City in 2016 in support of ISIS.
The Justice Department told the media reports that three men used encrypted messages to conduct terrorist attacks and shootings in New York during the Ramadan month of 2016. Abdulrahman coordinated with US citizen Talha Haroon, who now lives in Pakistan, and Philippine citizen Russell Salic, to plot the terrorist attack.
El Bahnasawy is a 20-year-old isolated, mentally ill addict according to the Justice Department. The Judge told him that he was doing him a favour by sentencing 40 years in jail. According to the media sources, the judge felt the need to balance the seriousness of intent for action with his mental issues. El Bahnasawy planned a very elaborative attack in the name of ISIS. He planned destruction in the entire New York City.
His plan was to detonate bombs in New York Subway system and Times Square. He also planned to shoot civilians at different concert venues.
El Bahnasawy was born in Kuwait. He moved to Ontario as a child with his parents. He had been getting drug treatments from the age of 14. His parents used to send him to drug treatment centres situated in Kuwait, Egypt and Toronto. When he returned to Canada from an Egyptian treatment program in 2015, it was then he became associated with online Islamist extremism.
He began corresponding with Abu Saad al-Sudani from his room. Abu Saad al-Sudani is a high-level ISIS recruiter and attack planner in Syria.