Sydney: Bondi Beach shooter Naveed Akram appears in court for first time, says just two words

Naveed Akram, accused in the deadly Bondi Beach terror attack that killed 15, is currently lodged in Goulburn supermax prison

By  Jasleen Kaur February 16th 2026 03:01 PM

PTC Web Desk: Naveed Akram, the lone surviving accused in the deadly Bondi Beach terror attack, made his first court appearance on Monday, dressed in a green prison jumper. The 24-year-old appeared briefly before a senior magistrate at a Sydney court, where existing suppression orders in the case were extended.

Akram, who is facing 59 charges, including 15 counts of murder and one count of committing a terrorist act, spoke only twice during the hearing. When Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked if he understood that the suppression orders had been extended, he replied, “Yeah.” Later, when informed that his solicitor would contact him after the hearing, he responded with a brief “Yep.”

His lawyer, Legal Aid solicitor Ben Archbold, sought additional time to confer with his client. Speaking outside court, Archbold confirmed he had visited Akram at Goulburn’s supermax prison, where the accused is currently being held under strict security conditions.

“Everyone knows the supermax facility has very onerous conditions, and that is where individuals accused of crimes of this magnitude are housed,” Archbold said.

He indicated that it was too early to determine what plea Akram might enter, noting that prosecutors are yet to provide the brief of evidence. Archbold also stated that his client has not participated in a formal police interview so far, although preliminary processes have begun. The matter is expected to remain before the courts until at least 2027.

Archbold defended his professional role amid public scrutiny. “He’s a client who requires representation. Personal views cannot interfere with professional obligations,” he said.

The Bondi Beach attack

The December 14, 2025 attack at Bondi Beach has been described as one of Australia’s deadliest terror incidents in recent history. According to investigators, Naveed Akram and his father, Sajid Akram, allegedly opened fire during a Hanukkah celebration event known as “Chanukah by the Sea” at Archer Park. At least 15 people were killed and more than 40 others injured in the shooting.

The police shot dead Sajid Akram, 50, at the scene during an exchange of gunfire. Naveed was wounded and taken into custody after receiving medical treatment.

Media reports suggest the accused had access to multiple firearms, including rifles and shotguns, allegedly obtained through Sajid’s gun licence. Authorities are also examining reports that the pair attempted to use improvised explosive devices before opening fire, though the devices reportedly failed to explode.

Throughout Monday’s brief proceedings, Naveed Akram remained largely silent. The case is expected to return to court in April as investigations and pre-trial procedures continue.

Related Post