Trump repeats claim of stopping India-Pakistan conflict, says 200% tariff threat forced de-escalation

US President reiterated his broader assertion that he had played a role in resolving multiple global conflicts during first year of his second term in office

By  Jasleen Kaur February 20th 2026 12:03 PM

PTC Web Desk: US President Donald Trump has once again claimed that he prevented a major escalation between India and Pakistan last year by warning both countries of steep economic consequences if hostilities continued.

Addressing a gathering of the Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, Trump said he had threatened to impose 200 per cent tariffs on both nations unless they stepped back from what he described as a rapidly intensifying conflict. According to him, the warning helped de-escalate tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbours.

Trump reiterated his broader assertion that he had played a role in resolving multiple global conflicts during the first year of his second term in office. Referring to the India-Pakistan situation, he described it as “a big one” and invited Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who was present at the event, to stand as he mentioned the episode. Trump also said he had spoken to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and praised both leaders.

Speaking about the episode, Trump said he personally contacted the leadership of both countries after learning that aerial exchanges had intensified. He claimed that several fighter jets had been shot down and that the situation was spiralling. The US President said he made it clear that trade negotiations would be halted if hostilities did not cease, adding that the prospect of losing access to US trade pushed both sides toward restraint.

Trump further stated that he had warned of 200 per cent tariffs, which, in his words, would have effectively shut both countries out of business with the United States. He claimed that within days of the warning, signs of de-escalation became visible and the situation stabilised.

While praising Sharif and Pakistan’s military leadership, including Field Marshal Asim Munir, Trump also described Modi as a strong leader and said he was “very proud” of the role he believes he played in calming tensions.

However, India has consistently rejected suggestions of third-party mediation. New Delhi has maintained that the understanding on cessation of hostilities was reached through direct communication between the Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs) of the two countries.

The tensions followed India’s launch of Operation Sindoor on May 7 last year. The operation targeted terror infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir in response to the April 22 Pahalgam attack, in which 26 civilians were killed.

Trump has repeated his claim of having stopped the India-Pakistan conflict on numerous occasions since May 10 last year, when he announced on social media that both countries had agreed to a “full and immediate” ceasefire after US-mediated talks. India, however, continues to maintain that no external mediation was involved in the de-escalation process.

Related Post