IND vs ENG Pink Ball Test Ahmedabad Records: Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, and Rohit Sharma led Team India to a comprehensive win against England in the third Test in a rare two-day affair to go 2-1 up in the 4-match series.
With an emphatic win, India reached the top of the World Test Championship standings, taking a step closer to the final spot and face New Zealand in the finals at Lord’s, later this year. The Day-night Pink ball Test at the newly inaugurated Narendra Modi Stadium in Motera witnessed several landmarks as India dominated the visitors on a spin-friendly track.
30 wickets fell in the 2 days, of which 28 were taken by the spinners. The match was wrapped up in record time. Also, IND vs ENG Pink Ball Test at Ahmedabad witnessed few records in just a span of two days.
Here’s a look at the records that were created and shattered in the ING vs ENG Pink Ball Test in Ahmedabad.
- Ravichandran Ashwin becomes second-fastest to reach 400 wickets. He joined the elite list of Indian cricketers claiming 400 wickets in Test cricket. After Kapil Dev (434), Anil Kumble (619), and Harbhajan Singh (417), Ashwin is now the fourth Indian bowler to achieve the feat.
- Axar Patel ended with match figures of 11 for 70 — fifer in both innings of a Test.
- England Skipper Joe Root claimed his maiden five-wicket haul for his side. He dismissed Rishabh Pant, R Ashwin, Washington Sundar, Axar Patel, and Jasprit Bumrah to claim his maiden Test five-wicket haul.
- With a dominant win over England, Virat Kohli surpassed the legendary MS Dhoni — 21 wins in India — to become the most successful captain in India.
- It was Shortest Test in post World War era (by balls).
842 balls – India vs England (Ahmedabad 2020/21)
872 balls – Australia v New Zealand (Wellington 1945/46)
883 balls – England v South Africa (Centurion 1999/00) – two innings forfeited in the match
893 balls – Australia vs Pakistan (Sharjah 2002/03)