Mon, May 27, 2024

3-year-old boy passes away after ingesting dry ice at Chhattisgarh wedding

Accompanied by his mother, the child attended a wedding in a village situated in Rajnandgaon, Chhattisgarh. During the event, he inadvertently consumed dry ice, mistaking it for regular ice.

Written by  Annesha Barua -- May 01st 2024 01:22 PM
3-year-old boy passes away after ingesting dry ice at Chhattisgarh wedding

3-year-old boy passes away after ingesting dry ice at Chhattisgarh wedding

PTC News Desk: Tragedy struck a wedding in Chhattisgarh as a three-year-old boy lost his life after ingesting dry ice, mistaken for regular ice, earlier this week, authorities reported.

The heart-wrenching incident unfolded when the child accompanied his mother to a wedding ceremony in a village located in Rajnandgaon district, Chhattisgarh. Identified as Khushant Sahu, the toddler encountered the fatal substance while at the wedding venue, where dry ice was utilised for special effects, such as creating mist.

Upon returning home, Khushant began to feel unwell, prompting his parents to rush him to a nearby hospital. Despite desperate attempts by medical personnel, the young boy tragically passed away during treatment.

Authorities investigating the incident revealed that the dry ice, mistaken by Khushant as conventional ice, was inadvertently consumed by the child in clumps. This dreadful occurrence echoes a previous incident in March, where five individuals were hospitalised after mistakenly ingesting dry ice, which they believed to be mouth fresheners, at a cafe in Gurugram.

A distressing video capturing the aftermath showed the victims experiencing severe discomfort, including spitting blood and reporting a burning sensation in their mouths. Further inquiry into the Gurugram incident revealed that the cafe staff had unintentionally served dry ice instead of the intended mouth freshener, leading to the unfortunate consequences.

These heartbreaking incidents serve as poignant reminders of the critical importance of proper handling and labelling of potentially hazardous substances, especially in public settings, to prevent such tragedies from occurring in the future.

What is dry ice ?

Dry ice, the solidified form of carbon dioxide gas, poses risks such as cold burns and asphyxiation if mishandled or inadvertently consumed.

Primarily employed in the transportation of perishable goods within the food and pharmaceutical sectors, dry ice serves as a crucial component for maintaining freezing temperatures during transit. Remarkably, with a surface temperature plummeting to -78 degrees Celsius, dry ice's unique attribute of sublimation ensures that it bypasses the melting phase, thereby safeguarding goods from moisture accumulation.

Moreover, the versatility of dry ice extends beyond logistics, finding applications in the realm of entertainment for crafting captivating special effects.

Nevertheless, despite its utility, dry ice demands careful handling to avert potential hazards. The extreme coldness it exudes can induce cold burns and frostbite if not managed with caution. Thus, adherence to safety protocols remains imperative when dealing with this potent substance.

Also Read: Hardik Pandya fined Rs 24 lakh, Rohit Sharma and Mumbai Indians players penalised for IPL code of conduct violation

- With inputs from agencies

Top News view more...

Latest News view more...