Six-year-old girl dies after makeshift blackboard wall collapses in Rajasthan’s Jalore
PTC Web Desk: A six-year-old girl lost her life in a tragic accident after a temporary blackboard structure collapsed inside a private school in Rajasthan’s Jalore district on Friday afternoon.
The child, identified as Preeti, was a Class 2 student at Marudhar Shikshan Sansthan. She was reportedly playing with classmates during the lunch break when a blackboard structure made of fibre sheets and cement bricks suddenly gave way. Portions of the supporting wall also collapsed, leaving the young student trapped beneath the debris.
School staff members and local residents immediately rushed to rescue her and took her to a nearby hospital. However, doctors declared her brought dead on arrival.
Police and administrative officials reached the school soon after being informed and shifted the body for a post-mortem examination. Authorities have begun an inquiry to determine whether negligence or violations of construction norms led to the accident.
Preliminary findings suggest that the classrooms were built using temporary materials. Locals claimed that the structure consisted of cement bricks stacked up to five to seven feet, supported by bamboo poles and covered with tarpaulin sheets to form the roof. The wall that supported the brick-built blackboard allegedly collapsed without warning while children were present inside the classroom.
Residents said the school has been operating from the current structure for nearly five to six years and has an enrolment of around 350 students from Classes 1 to 12.
The tragedy in Jalore comes amid a series of similar incidents in the state. In July last year, seven students were killed after the roof of a government school building collapsed during class hours in Jhalawar district. The incident had led to widespread outrage and prompted the state government to order structural safety inspections across schools.
Shortly afterward, another fatal accident occurred in Jaisalmer, where a seven-year-old child died after a school entrance gate and pillar collapsed. Officials were suspended in that case after it emerged that earlier warnings about structural risks had not been addressed.
Despite subsequent safety audits and official assurances, accidents linked to weak or poorly maintained school infrastructure continue to surface, especially in institutions operating from temporary constructions.
Initially, the police indicated that the school operator was untraceable following the incident. However, senior police officials later clarified that the operator had reached the hospital after the accident.
District Collector Pradeep Gavande confirmed that officials were immediately sent to the site and that a formal investigation has been initiated. Authorities are examining whether the school complied with safety and construction regulations.
District Education Officer Bhanwarlal Parmar said a committee has been formed to investigate the matter, and a detailed report will be submitted to the state government. Further action against the school management will depend on the findings.
The police stated that no formal complaint has yet been lodged by the victim’s family. Legal proceedings are expected to begin once a complaint is filed.
- With inputs from agencies