Delhi Police register FIR over pellet injuries to 19-year-old Sahil Lochab after Rahul Gandhi’s protest
Delhi Police register an FIR against unidentified persons over pellet injuries suffered by 19-year-old Sahil Lochab during the July 20 Delhi protest
PTC Web Desk: The Delhi Police have registered an FIR against unidentified persons following a complaint by 19-year-old Sahil Lochab, who sustained pellet injuries during a protest in the national capital on July 20. No person has been named as an accused in the case so far.
The FIR was filed after the issue gained political attention, with Congress leader Rahul Gandhi staging a sit-in at Parliament Street police station on Friday and demanding action over the alleged use of a pellet gun during the protest.
Rahul Gandhi, along with Lochab, first went to the Mandir Marg police station seeking registration of an FIR. When the request was not accepted, they moved to the Parliament Street police station, where Rahul Gandhi met Central Delhi Deputy Commissioner of Police Sachin Sharma.
The meeting did not resolve the matter, following which Rahul Gandhi and Lochab sat on a dharna at the police station, which also houses the DCP's office.
Also Read | 6-year-old boy dies after alleged slap by teacher in classroom; probe ordered
Jairam Ramesh had earlier said the Congress would continue its agitation until the police registered an FIR and shared its number.
“Our demand is simple; register an FIR and give us the FIR number,” Ramesh said.
Lochab suffered pellet injuries
According to the Congress, Lochab was taking part in a protest against the alleged Staff Selection Commission paper leak and was not associated with any political party. The party alleged that he was injured after the police used a pellet gun during the July 20 demonstration.
Lochab reportedly suffered pellet injuries to his eyes and abdomen and subsequently underwent surgery at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.
Police action followed a complaint submitted by Lochab. Sources said he had approached the police with his lawyers on August 14 and submitted a written complaint, but an FIR was not registered at that time.
The matter was again raised through email and phone on August 17, but there was reportedly no acknowledgement from the police, according to sources.
The Congress has accused the BJP of attempting to communalise the issue and divert attention from the allegations surrounding the protest.
Rahul Gandhi had questioned why an FIR had not been registered over Lochab's injuries and described the alleged use of pellet guns against protesters as a serious matter.