Dhaka signals fresh start with India in cricket after T20 World Cup fallout
Relations between the two cricketing nations deteriorated during the interim regime of Muhammad Yunus
PTC Web Desk: Hours after the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) government headed by Tarique Rahman assumed office on Tuesday, Dhaka sent out clear indications that it wants to rebuild strained cricketing ties with India following last year’s T20 World Cup controversy.
Newly appointed State Minister for Youth and Sports Aminul Haque said he had already initiated discussions with India’s Deputy High Commissioner, underlining that the issue should be resolved through “friendly talks” and diplomatic engagement. His remarks mark the first formal outreach by the new BNP-led administration on the matter.
Relations between the two cricketing nations deteriorated during the interim regime of Muhammad Yunus, when broader diplomatic ties between New Delhi and Dhaka also witnessed turbulence.
The dispute traces its roots to December 2024, when Bangladesh pacer Mustafizur Rahman was not released by his Indian Premier League franchise, Kolkata Knight Riders. The decision triggered criticism in Dhaka and added strain to bilateral cricketing relations.
Subsequently, Bangladesh declined to travel to India for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup, citing security concerns. The International Cricket Council (ICC) responded by excluding Bangladesh from the tournament and replacing the team with Scotland national cricket team. While Bangladesh avoided formal sporting sanctions, the episode left a visible dent in ties.
At the time, Bangladesh had aligned itself with Pakistan’s stance during the standoff, although Islamabad later reversed its position after discussions with the ICC.
Speaking to local media, Haque said maintaining cordial ties with neighbouring countries was a priority for the new government. He emphasised that any steps regarding cricket would be taken in line with ICC regulations but through dialogue rather than confrontation.
“If discussions had taken place earlier, our team might have participated,” he was quoted as saying, referring to the World Cup impasse.
The minister also questioned the election process of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials who were in charge during the crisis, describing it as “questionable” and hinting at a possible review.
Haque further expressed hope that legal cases against former Bangladesh captains Shakib Al Hasan and Mashrafe Bin Mortaza would be resolved, enabling their return to the national cricket setup. Both had served as Members of Parliament for the Awami League and are facing multiple charges linked to unrest during anti-Sheikh Hasina protests in mid-2024.
Since the Yunus-led administration took charge in August 2024, Shakib has remained outside the country, while Mortaza has largely stayed away from public life.
Meanwhile, BCB President Aminul Islam Bulbul has reportedly travelled to Australia, where his family resides, citing personal reasons.