Wed, Jun 19, 2024
Whatsapp

Bangladesh Fire: 44 killed, several injured as ferocious fire erupts at commercial building

Written by  Shefali Kohli -- March 01st 2024 08:29 AM
Bangladesh Fire: 44 killed, several injured as ferocious fire erupts at commercial building

Bangladesh Fire: 44 killed, several injured as ferocious fire erupts at commercial building

Bangladesh Fire: Tragedy struck on Thursday night as a ferocious fire claimed the lives of at least 44 people and left over 20 severely injured in a commercial building on Bailey Road, housing multiple restaurants in the national capital.

Firefighters embarked on a dangerous rescue operation, saving 70 people from the seven-story Green Cosy Cottage, with 42 of them found unconscious.


Also Read: Air India fined Rs 30 lakh as passenger dies without wheelchair

Health Minister Samanta Lal Sen, Dhaka-8 lawmaker AFM Bahauddin Nasim, and senior law enforcement officials hurried to the location to evaluate the circumstances. 

In a press briefing, IGP Chowdhury Abdullah Al Mamun revealed that 75 individuals had been rescued, some of whom received first aid before safely returning home. 

Firefighters, who successfully brought the blaze under control by approximately 12:30 am, revealed that the majority of the victims perished from injuries sustained while jumping from the building or from burns and suffocation. The somber task of transferring the bodies from the structure to a waiting truck commenced at 1 am.

Also Read: Ex-Intel India chief killed in Navi Mumbai cycle crash

Also Read: Abdul Karim Tunda, accused in 1993 train blasts, acquitted due to insufficient evidence

The fire originated at the "Kacchi Bhai" restaurant on the first floor at around 9:45 pm, rapidly spreading to other levels where patrons were present. Thirteen Fire Service units worked diligently to extinguish the flames, receiving assistance from Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB), Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), General Ansar, and Ansar Guard Battalion (AGB).

Fire officials attributed the rapid spread of the blaze to gas cylinders present in restaurant kitchens on multiple floors. 

(With inputs from agencies)

-

Top News view more...

Latest News view more...

PTC NETWORK