Kerala's Water Metro and first Vande Bharat Train: 10 facts you should know
PTC Web Desk: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday laid the foundation stone and dedicated to the nation various development projects worth more than Rs 3,200 crores at Central Stadium in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
The projects include the dedication of the Kochi Water Metro to the nation, laying the foundation stone of various rail projects and the Digital Science Park in Thiruvananthapuram. Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister flagged off Kerala's first Vande Bharat Express between Thiruvananthapuram and Kasargod.
Know 10 facts about the projects
* Kerala's first Vande Bharat Express could cover 11 districts — Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Thrissur, Palakkad, Pathanamthitta, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kannur, and Kasargod.
* It is being seen as an alternate to the ruling LDF government's semi-high speed rail corridor.
* Vande Bharat Express is an indigenously manufactured, semi-high-speed, self-propelled train set. The train has state-of-the-art passenger amenities, providing passengers with a faster, more comfortable and more convenient travel experience.
*The Kochi Water Metro, which was dedicated to the people of the nation, connects 10 islands around Kochi through battery-operated electric hybrid boats. It is one-of-its-kind project that ensures seamless connectivity with the city.
* For urban houses located close to Cochi Lakeshore, the Kochi Water Metro will make it easier to access busy regions on the mainland.
* Tickets for the boat trip has been kept at Rs 20. There is also the facility for weekly and monthly passes.
* The project is being funded by the Kerala government and German company KfW. There are 38 terminals and 78 electric boats.
* The project is aimed at easing traffic congestion and pollution
* Tickets can be purchased digitally via Kochi One App
* The Kochi Water Metro is being touted as environmentally friendly and convenient for individuals with disabilities.
- With inputs from agencies