Uttar pradesh

NCP to contest Assembly elections in Goa, UP, Manipur: Sharad Pawar

By Jasleen Kaur -- January 11, 2022 7:19 pm -- Updated:January 11, 2022 7:46 pm

Mumbai: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday announced that his party would contest the 2022 Assembly elections in Goa, Uttar Pradesh and Manipur.

"We will contest the 2022 Assembly elections in three states out of a total of five states. These three states are Goa, Uttar Pradesh and Manipur," Sharad Pawar said at a press conference here.

The NCP chief said the party was going to contest the elections with the Samajwadi Party and other smaller parties in Uttar Pradesh. "The people of Uttar Pradesh are looking for a change. We will surely see the change in the state," he added.

Also read | Vaccination only weapon as India likely to see surge in Covid cases: Expert

Slamming Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath over his "80 per cent versus 20 per cent" remarks, Sharad Pawar said the Chief Minister should take along all sections of society. "The UP CM has said 80 per cent people belong to him while the remaining 20 per cent do not. The Chief Minister should not make this kind of remarks because every citizen of the state belongs to the CM," he said.

"Communal polarisation is being done in Uttar Pradesh ahead of the Assembly elections. The people of UP will give a befitting reply to this. The CM should take along every section of society," he added.

Sharad Pawar also referred to Uttar Pradesh minister Swami Prasad Maurya quitting the BJP days before the Assembly polls. "A total of 13 MLAs are going to join the Samajwadi Party (SP)," he added.

Sharad Pawar said his party was in talks with the Congress and the Trinamool Congress for an alliance for the Goa Assembly elections. "Our party leader Praful Patel is in talks with these parties. I believe all parties should come together to defeat the BJP," he added.

Also Read | Covid-19: India sees drop in positivity rate; Omicron case tally at 4,461

Elections for 403-member Uttar Pradesh Assembly will be held in seven phases. The polling will be held on February 10, 14, 20, 23, 27, and March 3 and 7 in seven phases. The polling in Punjab, Uttarakhand, and Goa will be held on February 14 and in Manipur in two phases on February 27 and March 6. The counting of votes will take place on March 10.

-PTC News

  • Share