Punjab Rail Roko Protest Day 3: Rail services disrupted as farmers continue to sit on railway tracks | IN 10 POINTS
'Rail Roko Andolan': Farmers of Kisan Mazdoor Sangharsh Committee continues to sit on railway tracks as they stage a 'Rail Roko Andolan.'
Several farmer bodies led by the Kisan Mazdoor Sangharsh Committee are on a three-day 'rail blockade', which began on Thursday continued for Day 3 and will continue till Saturday (September 30) evening.
Farmers staged protest over their demands, including a Committee for MSP (Minimum Support Price), withdrawal of cases regarding agitation in Delhi, and compensation and jobs for families of farmers who died during the agitation.
Visuals from the protest site showed, hundreds of farmers sitting on railway tracks, raising slogans for their demands and disrupting rail traffic in Punjab.
#WATCH | Punjab: Farmers, under the aegis of Kisan Mazdoor Sangharsh Committee, continue to sit on railway tracks as they stage a 'Rail Roko Andolan' over their demands, including Committee for MSP, withdrawal of cases regarding agitation in Delhi and compensation & jobs for… pic.twitter.com/ybgfbBdaQH — ANI (@ANI) September 30, 2023
1. Due to the Rail Roko Agitation by Punjab farmers, train services of Punjab and Haryana hit as more than 381 trains affected and 91 have been cancelled.
2. Several farmers protested half-nude to remind the Central government of the promises it had made to them.
3. The farmers protest that the government had promised to implement the MSP Act, compensation for drug-related issues, and many more issues, but it had gone back on its promises.
4. Rail Roko agitation has been called by 18 unions in North India.
5. The farmers protest also led to traffic disruptions on the Chandigarh-Ambala highway near Lalru, Mohali. Vehicles coming from Chandigarh to Ambala were rerouted through ITI Chowk-Handesra, while vehicles heading from Ambala to Chandigarh were redirected through Baldev Nagar-Barwala via Shabhu barrier. This temporary diversion resulted in significant delays for commuters on the main Chandigarh-Ambala highway.
6. Punjab Rail Roko Protest is underway at 20 places in Punjab, including Faridkot, Samrala, Moga, Hoshiarpur, Gurdaspur, Jalandhar, Tarn Taran, Sangrur, Patiala, Ferozepur, Bathinda and Amritsar.
7. The call for ‘Punjab Rail Roko Protest' by farmer unions has harmed the commercial and business of vendors, as numerous trains at in Punjab were disrupted for the third day in a row.
8. With Farmers Rail Roko train passengers face not just inconvenience but a wave of frustration. Due to the disrupted train services, private bus operators are charging high fares.
9. People travelling from Delhi to Chandigarh also faced harrowing times after a group of farmers also blocked the Ambala-Chandigarh national highway for three days.
10. Due to Punjab rail services disruption, the footfall of passengers have been reduced. Visuals of passengers were seen waiting for their turn at the windows to get reimbursement for their cancelled tickets as several trains did not ply.
- PTC NEWS