Nation

In Delhi, three children die after consuming 'cough syrup'; had taken from mohalla clinic

By Jasleen Kaur -- December 20, 2021 4:54 pm -- Updated:December 20, 2021 4:59 pm

New Delhi: Three children died after allegedly consuming a 'cough syrup' that was administered by a mohalla clinic run by the Delhi Government, the Directorate of Health Services (DGHS) has mentioned in its enquiry report.

Also Read | Punjab Govt forms SIT to probe Golden Temple sacrilege incident

A total 16 children were admitted to Kalawati Saran Children Hospital. However, three of them died. "As many as 16 cases of Dextromethorphan (cough syrup) poisoning were reported at Kalawati Saran Children Hospital, New Delhi. Three children, however, died during the treatment. These children were prescribed Dextromethorphan drug by mohalla clinics of the Delhi Government. which is strictly not recommended for paediatric. The drug was manufactured by Omega Pharmaceuticals ...," says the enquiry report.

Puducherry Health Minister visits Delhi's Mohalla Clinics, praises Kejriwal Social media

Also read | BSF arrests one Pakistani national from Punjab's Gurdaspur border

In the letter, the Directorate of Health Services (DGHS) has asked the Delhi Government to issue a notice to all dispensaries and mohalla clinics "to not prescribe Dextromethorphan for children less than four years of age".

Delhi's Mohalla Clinic Network Should Have Been Used in the Fight Against COVID-19 Social media

The DGHS has also suggested "withdrawing the Dextromethorphan in larger public interest". Notably, mohalla clinics were first set up by the Aam Aadmi Party-led Delhi Government in 2015.

The way forward: Building mohalla clinics in Delhi Social media

-PTC News with inputs from social media

  • Share