'Grave mistake, very, very sorry: Father of teen SUV driver who crushed Delhi biker
PTC News Desk: The father of the teenager whose SUV fatally struck a 23-year-old motorcyclist in Delhi earlier this month has described the incident as a “mistake” and expressed deep regret on behalf of his family.
“I am also a parent. It was a mistake. I am very, very sorry,” he said in Hindi.
Sahil Dhaneshra was on his way to work when a Scorpio, allegedly driven by the minor, collided head-on with his motorcycle near Lal Bahadur Shastri College at around noon on February 3. The force of the crash also caused the SUV to hit a parked cab, seriously injuring its driver.
The father said he was in Gorakhpur for work at the time and claimed his son may have taken the car keys out of “nadani” (naivety). “If I had been in Delhi, perhaps this would not have happened. His mother was at home, and in his immaturity, he acted irresponsibly. When I am home, I usually maintain strict discipline,” he said.
He maintained that his son did not run away after the accident and instead assisted at the scene. Responding to reports that the SUV had multiple challans, he said the vehicle is mainly operated by hired drivers as part of their commercial business.
The accident, captured on camera, occurred near Lal Bahadur Shastri College. According to Delhi Police, the Scorpio, owned by the teen’s father and allegedly driven without a valid licence, hit the motorcycle coming from the opposite direction before crashing into a parked taxi. Sahil Dhaneshra was declared dead at the spot, while the taxi driver, Ajit Singh, was rushed to hospital.
- With inputs from agencies