Thu, Jun 20, 2024
Whatsapp

After supporting NDA, JD(U) sets conditions on Agniveer Scheme | Read in detail

The Agnipath scheme has been a contentious issue during the election campaigns, with the Congress party promising to abolish it if elected

Written by  Jasleen Kaur -- June 06th 2024 04:57 PM
After supporting NDA, JD(U) sets conditions on Agniveer Scheme | Read in detail

After supporting NDA, JD(U) sets conditions on Agniveer Scheme | Read in detail

PTC Web Desk: Hours after affirming its support to the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the Janata Dal (United) has called for a reevaluation of the Agnipath scheme, which is designed to recruit soldiers into the Indian Armed Forces.

JD(U) spokesperson KC Tyagi highlighted the need of rethinking the Agnipath scheme, citing widespread dissatisfaction since its announcement in June 2022. Tyagi said this discontent might have influenced voter sentiment during the recent Lok Sabha Elections, as expressed by the families affected.


On Wednesday, JD(U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar attended an NDA meeting in the National Capital, where his party reaffirmed its confidence in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's leadership.

The Agnipath scheme has been a contentious issue during the election campaigns, with the Congress party promising to abolish it if elected. The scheme's recruitment methods and implications for the future of the youth were central topics of the debate. The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence, led by BJP MP Jual Oram, recommended in December last year that families of Agniveers—troops recruited under the scheme—who die in the line of duty should receive the same benefits as the families of regular soldiers. Currently, the rules do not provide for a pension for the families of Agniveers who are martyred, whereas the families of regular soldiers receive lifelong pensions.

The report also highlighted the lack of guaranteed employment or dedicated skill development programmes for Agniveers, apart from some reserved job percentages in the Central Armed Police Forces. Under the Agnipath scheme, youth are recruited for a four-year term in the Armed Forces. After this period, 25% of the recruits are retained as full-time soldiers, while the remaining 75% are discharged with a one-time financial package. For those who are retained, their four-year service under the Agnipath scheme is not counted towards their total service period for financial benefits and pension calculations.

The call for a reevaluation of the Agnipath scheme reflects broader concerns about the long-term welfare and career prospects of Agniveers. Critics argue that the scheme's short-term nature and the lack of post-service benefits and career support may discourage youth from joining the armed forces and could impact the overall morale and effectiveness of the military.

The debate around the Agnipath scheme also touches on larger issues of employment and skill development in India, particularly for the youth. With limited opportunities and the uncertainties posed by the scheme, there is a growing demand for more comprehensive policies that ensure job security and career growth for those who serve in the military.

- With inputs from agencies

Top News view more...

Latest News view more...

PTC NETWORK