Shooting near White House: US Secret Service shot dead shooter, bystander injured
PTC News Desk: The man who opened fire at a Secret Service checkpoint near the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a report by the New York Post.
Officials have not yet confirmed why he carried out the attack, but reports suggest he was mentally unstable and had often been seen loitering near White House security checkpoints. Last year, he was arrested twice for offences such as blocking traffic and entering a restricted pedestrian area near the White House. During questioning by Washington DC Police and Secret Service officers, he reportedly claimed he wanted to be arrested because he believed he was a modern-day version of Jesus Christ.
Investigators suspect his mental condition may have played a role in the shooting, though they are still examining whether there was any political motive behind the attack. A court had earlier ordered Best to stay away from the White House area, but reports say he ignored that order.
On May 24 (IST), Secret Service officers noticed Best acting suspiciously near 17th Street Northwest. He then pulled out a gun and fired several shots, seriously injuring at least one bystander.
Officers from the Secret Service uniformed division quickly responded by shooting back and stopping him. Best was injured in the exchange and later died at a hospital.
FBI Director Kash Patel said the investigation is ongoing and more details will be shared once they become available.
"FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds - we will update the public as we’re able," Patel said, through a post on X.
- With inputs from agencies