Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Death Anniversary: Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel popularly known as Sardar Patel, was an Indian politician born on October 31, 1875. He is also known as Iron Man Of India. Vallabhbhai Patel served as the first Deputy Prime Minister of India. He was often called Sardar, which means 'Chief' in Hindi, Urdu, and Persian. During the political integration of India and the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947, Sardar acted as Home Minister.
- Sardar Patel was born on in Gujarat. Vallabhbhai Patel studied law from the Middle Temple Inn in London and practiced it in India. He became one of the most successful lawyers in the country.
- Vallabhbhai Patel was married to Jhaverba and the couple had two children, daughter Maniben and son Dahyabhai. However, his wife died of cancer when their children were just 5 and 3 and Sardar Patel raised them with his family's support.
- Iron Man of India joined the struggle of Indian Independence after he met Mahatama Gandhi in 1917. He encouraged Indians nationwide to sign a petition demanding Swaraj from Britain.
- Also, he organised relief efforts in the wake of plague and famine in Kheda, Gujarat, and after that he left his ambition as a lawyer and devoted himself completely to the struggle for freedom. It is pertinent to mention that, Sardar was the force behind the 'Gujarat Satyagraha'.
- Sardar Patel became the President of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee in 1920. He also worked against alcoholism, untouchability, caste discrimination and empowerment of women in the state.
- Sardar Patel also supported Non-Cooperation Movement by Mahatama Gandhi and switched to wearing only khadi clothes.
- Vallabhbhai Patel was given the task of the political integration of India and is responsible to unite 562 princely states in the country. This earned him the title of Iron Man of India.
- Sardar Patel passed away on December 15, 1950, at Birla House in Bombay following a massive heart attack. He was also awarded the Bharat Ratna.