Tue, Aug 18, 2026
Whatsapp

Jharkhand protest: Students end hunger strike after government agrees to key demands , but firm on CBI probe

However, one group of protesters said they would continue their protest until the government agrees to their main demand for a CBI investigation into the cancelled exams.

Reported by:  PTC News Desk  Edited by:  Jasleen Kaur Gulati -- August 18th 2026 08:32 AM
Jharkhand protest: Students end hunger strike after government agrees to key demands , but firm on CBI probe

Jharkhand protest: Students end hunger strike after government agrees to key demands , but firm on CBI probe

PTC News Desk: After activist Devendra Mahto ended his indefinite hunger strike on Monday evening, other student protesters in Ranchi also called off their hunger strikes. This came after the Jharkhand government cancelled the results of all competitive exams conducted by testing agency TDPL since 2014 and promised to bring reforms.

However, one group of protesters said they would continue their protest until the government agrees to their main demand for a CBI investigation into the cancelled exams.

Reacting to the government's decision, Mahto said a strong law should be introduced to ensure that students are never cheated or treated unfairly in the future.

He said the protesters had achieved the demands for which they had been protesting peacefully and constitutionally, so they decided to suspend their agitation. However, he added that the fight for more reforms would continue.

Mahto thanked the Jharkhand government, Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for the decision. He also said the government's move was important because the appointment and joining process for the CGL examination had already been completed, while students had raised different concerns about their cases.

He thanked students, parents, the media, police, the Jharkhand government and Chief Minister Hemant Soren for supporting the agitation.

“We are grateful that the students’ concerns were taken seriously and our demands were fulfilled,” Mahto said, adding that investigations into the alleged irregularities were being conducted and those involved in corruption were being apprehended.

“Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we have ended our fast in a very dignified manner,” Mahto said, crediting Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Dipika Pandey and MLA Jairam Mahato for their “joint initiative” in resolving the issues.

- With inputs from agencies

Electrical Saftey authority
Chandigarh Group of Colleges

Top News view more...

Latest News view more...

PTC NETWORK
PTC NETWORK