Twisha Sharma death case: Husband Samarth Singh surrenders in Jabalpur court after 10 days on the run
Twisha Sharma death case: In a fresh development in the death case of 33-year-old Twisha Sharma, her husband Samarth Singh surrendered before the Jabalpur District Court on Friday after remaining absconding for nearly 10 days.
Earlier in the day, Samarth’s lawyer informed the Madhya Pradesh High Court that his client was ready to surrender immediately. The court then allowed him to surrender either before the trial court or at Katara Hills Police Station in Bhopal.
During the hearing, the counsel told the court that Samarth needed time to prepare for his wife’s last rites. The lawyer also informed the court that the anticipatory bail plea filed on behalf of Samarth would be withdrawn.
Twisha Sharma, a resident of Noida, was found dead at her marital home in Bhopal on May 12. Her family has accused her husband and in-laws of dowry harassment and abetment to suicide. However, the Singh family has rejected the allegations and claimed that Twisha was struggling with drug addiction.
The post-mortem report conducted earlier concluded that the death was a case of suicide. Twisha’s family, however, has refused to accept the findings and has alleged foul play in the matter.
The Madhya Pradesh High Court also allowed a second autopsy on Twisha’s body after her father’s counsel requested urgent intervention from the court.
Arguing before the bench, the petitioner’s lawyer said that “time is ticking fast” and urged the court to allow another medical examination.
Counsel appearing for Twisha’s mother-in-law, Giribala Singh, opposed the request and argued that the first post-mortem had already been conducted by doctors at AIIMS Bhopal.
The lawyer questioned the need for another autopsy and said seeking a second examination reflected a lack of trust in the medical experts who conducted the original procedure.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, who appeared in the matter, defended the integrity of the doctors involved in the first autopsy but stated that a second opinion could still be considered if the victim’s family had doubts.
He told the court that the doctors had acted impartially, but added that another examination could help address concerns raised by the family.
During the hearing, the Singh family’s counsel also opposed any further delay in the funeral rites, saying the body should not be allowed to decompose.
The lawyer stated that Twisha was the daughter-in-law of their family and performing her last rites was their responsibility.
The court noted that the body is currently being preserved at the AIIMS Bhopal mortuary at minus 4 degrees Celsius. However, for longer preservation, storage at minus 80 degrees Celsius is required, and such a facility is not available in Bhopal.
The latest court proceedings came shortly after the Madhya Pradesh government recommended a CBI probe into the case.
An official notification issued by the Home Department stated that the consent covers investigation into the main offence, possible abetment and any related criminal conspiracy.
The notification, signed by Home Department Secretary Krishnaveni Deshavatu, has been sent to senior state and central authorities to begin the process of transferring the investigation to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
- With inputs from agencies