Secunderabad (Telangana), September 13: At least six people were charred to death and several injured after a fire broke out at a hotel in Secunderabad late on Monday night.
Following the tragic incident, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences on the deaths.
"Saddened by the loss of lives due to a fire in Secunderabad, Telangana. Condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon," PM Modi said on Twitter.
The Prime Minister further said that Rs 2 lakh from PMNRF (Prime Minister's National Relief Fund) would be given to the next of kin of each deceased and Rs 50,000 each to the injured.
According to Hyderabad Police, the fire started in the charging unit of the building's electric scooter showroom on the ground level. As a result, those on the upper floors were trapped in smoke.
Several firefighters rushed to the scene to put out the blaze. Police arrived and evacuated the people.
"The fire broke out in the electric scooter charging unit on the ground floor. Smoke overpowered the people staying on the first and second floors. The remaining people jumped from the building and were rescued by locals. They were rushed to the hospital. Fire tenders on the spot," Hyderabad Commissioner CV Anand informed.
"Very unfortunate incident. Fire brigade teams tried their best to rescue people from the lodge but due to heavy smoke, some people died. Some people were rescued from the lodge. We are probing how the incident happened," Telangana Home Minister Mohd Mahmood Ali said.
A probe is underway into the incident.