The Union Health Ministry has written to States/UTs to facilitate COVID-19 vaccination of such persons seeking to undertake international travel for educational purposes or employment opportunities or as part of India’s contingent for Tokyo Olympic Games, but whose planned travel dates fall prior to completion of the currently mandated minimum interval of 84 days from the date of the first dose.
The SOPs for COVID-19 vaccination of international travels, India’s contingent for Tokyo Olympics are as follows:
At present, the schedule of the Covishield vaccine under the National Covid-19 Vaccination Strategy is to administer the 2nd dose at 12-16 weeks intervals (i.e. after 84 days), after administration of the 1st dose.
With a view to providing full coverage of vaccination and facilitating international travel for such genuine reasons, the following procedure shall be followed for the administration of a second dose of the Covishield vaccine for such beneficiaries.
This special dispensation will be available to —
- Students who have to undertake foreign travel for the purposes of education.
- Persons who have to take up jobs in foreign countries
- Athletes, Sportspersons and accompanying staff of Indian contingent attending International Olympic Games be held in Tokyo
The competent authority would check the following before according permission for the administration of the second dose before the period of 84 days after the date of the first dose —
- Whether a period of 28 days has elapsed after the date of the first dose.
- Genuineness of the purpose of travel based on documents related to —
- Admission Offers or associated formal communications for the of education.
- Whether a person is already studying a foreign educational institution and has to return to that institution for continuing their education.
- Interview calls for a job or offers letters for taking up employment.
- Nomination to participate in the Tokyo Olympic Games.
It is advised that vaccination may be availed in cases through Passport which is one of the permissible ID documents as per the current guidelines so that the passport number is printed in the Certificate.
If Passport was not used at the time of administration of the first dose, the details of the photo ID Card used for vaccination will be printed in the vaccination certificate and mention of the Passport in the vaccination certificate is not to be insisted upon. Wherever necessary, the competent authority may issue another certificate linking the vaccination certificate with the passport number of the beneficiary.
This facility would be available to those who need to undertake international travel for these specified purposes in the period up to August 31, 2021.
Click here to follow PTC News on Twitter