Amit Shah condoles deaths in Sikkim avalanche, says 'closely monitoring situation'
New Delhi, April 4: Union Home Minister Amit Shah extended condolences to the families of those killed in the Sikkim avalanche on Tuesday, adding the government is actively monitoring the situation.
Shah took to Twitter to express his condolences for the loss of life and assured that the teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) will reach the affected area soon.
He also prayed for the speedy recovery of those injured in the incident.
"My sincerest condolences to the families of those who have lost their lives in the tragic avalanche in Sikkim. We are closely monitoring the situation and the teams of NDRF will reach the affected area soon. I pray for the speedy recovery of those injured," Shah tweeted.
According to the Army, an avalanche hit the Gangtok-Nathu La road in Sikkim on Tuesday afternoon, killing at least seven tourists and trapping many more.
An estimated 20-30 tourists, as well as five to six vehicles, were believed to be trapped under the snow, according to the Army.
"By 3 pm, 14 persons were rescued and taken to a nearby Army medical facility. However, seven persons succumbed. The other seven persons were administered first aid and returned to Gangtok," the Army said.
According to the army, 5-6 vehicles and 20-30 tourists on their way to Natu La are reported to have become stuck in the snow.
In addition, 350 stranded tourists and 80 vehicles were rescued once the road was cleared of snow.
Earlier in the day, around 11.30 a.m., a big avalanche struck the 15th mile of the Jawaharlal Nehru road, which links Gangtok with Nathu La.
Meanwhile, the Border Roads Organisation has opened the road to traffic. The Army, State Disaster Management Team, and police are conducting a search and rescue mission for the remaining people.
Also Read | Coal scam: BJP releases Episode 3 of ‘Congress Files, attacks UPA Govt